TYLER, TX (KLTV) -
More than a hundred people gathered at the Tyler Rose Garden Saturday evening to celebrate Tyler firefighters hard work and efforts over the last year.
Awards were given to individuals, groups and organizations.
Categories of recognition included Certificates of Merit, Legends Awards, Leadership Awards and Lifesaving Awards.
Chief's Certificates of Merit were awarded to:
- Terry Hawkins – Personal Achievement (Firefighter Combat Challenge)
- Glynn Ray – Annual Firefighter's Toy Drive
- TFD Gold Medal Soccer Team: B.J. Arnold, Jason Beasley, Greg Crenshaw, Mason Edney, Matt Hazel, Bruce Hill, Zach Houston, Logan Luttrell, Chris Mahler, Jay McClung, Brian Phillips, Eric Rozell, Danny Smith, Shawn Wilson, and Coach Tony Gumber
- Jeff Akin and Jeff Hudgens – Assistance with the 1st Tyler Junior College Fire Academy
- Bruce Hill – Assistance with the TFD Hazardous Materials Unit
- Matt Jenkins – Assistance and dedication with the annual "Bras for the Cause" fundraising event to support breast cancer awareness.
- Kim Morris, Sheri Rickman, and Brent Hail – Assistance and leadership in the efforts to retain the annual Firefighter Combat Challenge event in Tyler, TX.
- Bruce Bonham – Assistance with the new Fire Station #5 project.
- Robin Smart – Assistance to the Department during the recent wildfire season.
- Steve Countryman – Continued support and dedication to the Tyler Fire C.A.R.E and Tyler Professional Firefighter's Relief Funds.
- Paul White – assistance and partnership in recent programs within the Tyler Fire Department
- Ken Langley – assistance with the Veteran's Day Cookout, hosted by the Tyler Fire Department.
- Combat Challenge Team (James Branch, Casey Cabaniss, Jeremy Driver, Chris Mayo, and Jay McClung) – Qualified for National Competition
- "Over 40" Combat Challenge Team (Jeff Barnett, Larry Crowson, Brandon Davis, Brent Hail, and Terry Hawkins) – 3rd Place win in the Firefighter Combat Challenge at Nationals
- "Over 50" Combat Challenge Team (Ray Hukill, Tim Johnson, David McClung, James Pike, and Terry Rozell) – Qualified for Nationals
- Traveling Trophy from Annual Picnic: Station 8 B-Shift
Individual Awards included:
- Recognition and Appreciation:
- City of Tyler Engineer Carter Delleney
- Outstanding District Award – District 1 C-Shift, led by District Chief Ray Hukill
- Friend of the Department Awards:
- Greenberg Smoked Turkeys for their continued support of the Department
- HealthFirst TPA for their continued support of the men and women that make up the Tyler Fire Department
- Pam Arntt and Nancy Cox with Our Saviour's Lutheran Church for their donation of quilts to be given to the victims of area fires and accidents.
- The Rotary Club of Tyler, South Tyler Rotary Club, and the Sunrise Rotary Club for their generous donation and participation in this year's Smoke Alarm Campaign.
- Delek Refinery for their continued support and training assistance to the Tyler Fire Department
- Brookshire Grocery Company for their support of the Fire Department and the ongoing contributions they make towards our annual Firefighter Combat Challenge.
- Legends Awards:
- George Morris – Hired on November 1, 1952. Retired on January 4, 1997, with over 44 years of service to the City of Tyler.
- James Foreman – Hired on February 15, 1964. Retired on February 22, 1989, with over 25 years of service to the City of Tyler.
- Leadership Awards:
- District Chief Ray Hukill
- Captain George Fletcher
- Captain David Admire, Jr.
- Life Saving Awards:
- Driver/Engineer Greg Allen
- Captain Dexter Cook
- Driver/Engineer John Rains
- Firefighter Jason Williams
- Firefighter Heath Aaron
- Captain Mike Nipp
- Driver/Engineer Casey Cabaniss
- Firefighter Matt Ford
- Aaron Dickson
- Ren Kuykendall
- Firefighter of the Year:
- Deputy Fire Marshal James Suggs
Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.