Burning Trash Burns Down House - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

3/10/04 - Smith County

Burning Trash Burns Down House

  An East Texas couple's house is burned to the ground after their trash burning got out of hand. The fire happened in Smith County on CR 489, between Tyler and Lindale. The Johnsons were burning trash outside their home and left the barrel unattended. Fire officials say an aerosol can likely exploded and high winds caused the fire to spread quickly through their home and across three acres. Officials say the fire started also because of some other mistakes the Johnsons made.

"The burn barrel that they had was in very bad condition, had a lot of holes burned in it," Oren Hale, Smith County Asst. Fire Marshal, said. "It needed replacement. There was no cover on the burn barrel."

Fire experts say a common-sense precaution that many people, like the Johnsons, forget is to have water available in case a fire does start.

Julie Tam, reporting.

Powered by Frankly