Paper and plastic goods spark fire in Longview - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Paper and plastic goods spark fire in Longview

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

Around noon on Friday, Longview Fire officials were called to the scene of an appliance fire inside of a residence in the 200 block of Richardson in Longview.

The Longview Fire Marshal says Center Point Energy was upgrading the gas supply in the neighborhood. A contractor working on the project was going house to house to purge lines.

After leaving an elderly woman's residence, the woman ran outside stating there was smoke coming from her oven.

The contractor grabbed a fire extinguisher and quickly put out the fire.

Fire investigators say improperly stored paper and plastic goods inside the oven went up in flames after the contractor ran the test on the gas lines.

The elderly woman suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview for observation.

The Longview Fire Marshal added that he urges citizens not to use their ovens for storage.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly