Seven Year Old Saves Family From Burning Home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

3/7/04-Hallsville

Seven Year Old Saves Family From Burning Home

A fire at a mobile home in Hallsville Saturday night has left a family homeless.

The fire broke out around 8 p.m., at the home of Roy and Amanda Shannon, located on Roberson Road. The fire destroyed the home. Electrical wiring in a spare room is thought to have sparked the flames.

Roy Shannon, his 2-year-old daughter Destiny, 4-year-old son Luke, and 7-year-old son Nathaniel, were home when the fire started. All were able to escape without injury.  Family members said it could have been worse if not for the actions of 7-year-old Nathaniel.

Roy Shannon choked back tears Saturday as he thought about his family's future. The Hallsville home they have all shared since 1997 was, in just minutes, reduced to ashes Saturday night. He gives his oldest son credit it didn't turn out a lot worse.

"He sees fire trucks going down the road... that's what he wants to be."

The family's three children were watching a movie in a back room when the flames started. It was 7-year-old Nathaniel who first saw the smoke.

"I could smell it and I could see it through my little window and I looked out the window and I thought somebody was burning," he said. "When I saw the fire I told my brother to follow me and that's when I got Destiny out of bed."

After leading his brother and sister out of the house, the young boy went back inside to get his father. It's still difficult for their mother, Amanda Shannon, to think about what could have been.

"If he wouldn't have told his daddy by the time his daddy got out of the shower they would have been gone if they would have been asleep, they would have been gone and I wouldn't have my babies," she said "(Nathaniel) knows what he did, he knows. He always said he was going to be in the Army, be a firefighter or be a cop... he knows."

She said her son is a hero, other family members said the same thing, Nathaniel sees things a little different.

"I wasn't scared I just wanted to get my brother and sister out of the house before the entire house caught on fire," he said. "I'm going to miss some of my stuff but I'm glad I got them out.

One home was destroyed by fire but three lives were saved because of one brave little boy.

The Shannon family did not have insurance on their home. They plan on staying with family members until they can get back on their feet.

If you would like to help an account in their name is being set-up at the 1st State Bank in Hallsville.

Call 903-660-2181 or contact online at  http://fsbweb.com/

Chris Gibson, reporting
cgibson@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly