Crews extinguish 2-alarm Tyler house fire - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News


Crews extinguish 2-alarm Tyler house fire


The inside of a Tyler home is nearly destroyed after it caught fire just off the northwest Loop Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators say it was started by a lamp.

We're told the house was vacant because the elderly woman living there recently passed away.

Her family members had been at the house earlier that day packing up things and were at lunch when the fire started.

The woman's daughters were distraught to lose many family photos and heirlooms that were inside. However, they were thankful of a good Samaritan who was driving through Tyler on business and spotted the flames.

Good Samaritan Kenneth Hicks says, "The fire chief, he made the comment, let's call the dispatcher and see how many people really did call in and we haven't gotten word for that exact number. But that does raise the question, 'What if this was my house? Who would call?'"

The fire investigator added that there were no smoke detectors in the home.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly