Text message sends one to hospital, another to jail - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News


Text message sends one to hospital, another to jail

Posted: Updated:

John Paul Parker tells us he and Shannon Grimes have been dating off and on for eight years.

"She had spent the night with me then she woke up this morning and was acting mad and I asked her what was wrong and she wouldn't tell me," says Parker.

Grimes asked Parker to come over the next day so they could talk about it. Turns out her anger stemmed from a text message she had read on his phone the night before.

"She said when I went to sleep she got in my phone and I sent a text or somebody sent me one," explains Parker.

He says Grimes was concerned about another woman...a text he never remembers sending or receiving; the conversation quickly turned violent.

"I went back to her bedroom and she stood up and started swinging on me and yelling at me and stuff," says Parker.

 He decided to leave, and that's when things got ugly.

"She retrieved a .22 caliber rifle and opened fire on him and one round striking him in the head," says Lieutenant Tony Dana with the Smith County Sheriff's Department

"We got in the van and was leaving and that's when she started firing. The first shot missed I think, then the second one went over my head," Parker explains.

That shot sent him to the hospital where doctors told him he's lucky to be alive

"They said I was lucky because if it had been like another centimeter then it would have hit my brain," Parker says.

For now, Parker will recover from the gunshot wound that could easily have been much worse.

Grimes remains jailed on a $200,000 bond.


An East Texas man is in the hospital after his "on and off again" girlfriend shot him over a text message, authorities say.

Authorities tell us John Paul Parker, 41, has dated Shannon Grimes, 41, on and off again for about eight years, but when she found out about a text message Parker had received she became angry.

Lieutenant Tony Dana with the Smith County Sheriff's Department says Grimes invited Parker over to her home located in the 4,100 block of Morningside Drive, where an argument occurred.

Officials say Parker stepped outside to leave. While he was outside, Grimes retrieved a .22 caliber rifle from inside her home. Police say she fired about five rounds, one of which hit Parker in the head.

Dana says Parker was able to get in his vehicle and drive to another residence off of Bent Oak Lane. Officials say Parker refused to be taken to the hospital by EMS and instead, was taken by a friend or family member in a private car.

Authorities say Parker is expected to make a full recovery, while Grimes remains jailed on a $200,000 bond.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.