Morning house fire may have been sparked by child - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Morning house fire may have been sparked by child


Sylvia Parker's morning started off like any other. She shares her home with several family members and was spending time around the table. But, then her house broke out in flames.

Parker, who is confined to a wheelchair, was rushed out of the home by family members. She dialed 911 and fire crews quickly arrived.

"Pretty much contained the fire itself to that one bedroom and we have smoke and water damage throughout the house," said Tony Gumber with the Tyler Fire Department.

He also said a child may be to blame for starting the fire.

"There was a four-year-old in that part of the house when the fire started. And, it looks like it may have been started accidentally with her playing with a lighter or matches or something of that sort," said Gumber.

Despite the cause, Parker says she is just thankful to see another day.

"We could have been there sleeping. But, I'm thankful they got me out," she said.

Parker will be staying with family and friends until she figures out what to do next.

The Tyler Fire Department is hoping to talk to the child about the fire to figure out exactly what happened.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly