Deputy, fire crews save Christmas from burning home - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Deputy, fire crews save Christmas from burning home


A family lost their home in a fire, but thanks to a deputy and firefighters they were able to save Christmas.

The fire broke out Monday morning in the 1,600 block of FM 321, just east of Montalba, near Palestine.

The homeowner says one random act of kindness has restored her faith in humanity.

"You know, I had came to a point in my life where I thought there's no good people out there people don't care anymore," said homeowner Vanessa Davis, "But
Monday, they proved me wrong."

After watching her house go up in flames, Davis says she had given up on Christmas.

Fire officials and an Anderson County deputy took it upon themselves to save Christmas for the Davis family.

Anderson County Sheriff's Deputy Mike Mitchell says, "When I walked onto the porch, I could see there was a tree inside with multitudes of gifts that hadn't been touched by fire, and it just popped into my head you know they've lost their residence, let's at least give them Christmas."

"I was sitting across from my house [when] they started coming out with the Christmas tree, and they started coming out with presents," says Davis, "I thought, 'Wow--all of them.'"

But Davis says within the bunch, one man stuck to her, "Mike Mitchell--he was so nice to us. He was really concerned about the family. He did not leave our side. He talked to us trying to calm us down."

Deputy Mike Mitchell says for him it's just something he knew he had to do.

"It's what the Marine Corp trained me. It's how my family raised me--to help others and take care of them. It'll all come back, and I don't look for anything in return. It's just my job," Mitchell modestly expressed.

Even though the house was a total loss, firefighters and Deputy Mitchell were able to save all of the gifts.

Authorities believe an electrical problem caused the fire.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly