Man formerly accused in toddler's death speaks out - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Man formerly accused in toddler's death speaks out

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - The Friday afternoon release of Tristan Anderson and dismissal of his first degree murder charge came as a shock to Anderson. Anderson previously faced charges in the October death of 2 year old Ja'Marsay Summerfield.

"They just came in and told me to pack my stuff because I was being released from jail. And I was asking them why and what'd they found out and stuff and they was like, 'I don't know'," Anderson said in an interview with KSLA News 12 on Monday.

Mystery surrounds both Anderson's release and the death of the toddler. According to Anderson's arrest report, on Oct. 19, 2011, police said the boy's mother, Tamera Summerfield, reported him missing. She told police the last time she saw her son was Oct. 7 when he was with Anderson. The arrest report noted that one day after the missing person's report was filed, Ja'Marsay was found dead in a clothes hamper in a storage room by the family's home.  

Police said the mother told them Anderson's mother and sister were taking the boy to Texas to go to a zoo. Anderson said that isn't true.

"That's made up. That there is made up," he said.

Anderson went on to say that Tamera Summerfield made the story up, but he said he has no idea why. Anderson said he last saw the boy on Oct. 7 when he "left with his mother."

Anderson said the boy's toys were stored in the storage room where his body was found, but he said it wouldn't be possible for the boy to lock himself in the room. He said the only way to lock the door was with one of two keys to the door.

It was one of those keys that Shreveport Police pointed to as evidence of Anderson's involvement. In a newly surfaced arrest report, police wrote, "Anderson had the key on his person that unlocked and locked the storage room." Anderson said the other key was with Tamera Summerfield.

The evidence wasn't enough for the Caddo District Attorney's Office to pursue the case further. Ed Blewer, who is responsible for screening the office's cases, sent a fax to Anderson's attorneys late Friday afternoon, saying that they had dismissed the case

"I'm still a nice caring person. I didn't have anything to do with it and I just want to live my life," Anderson said.

The investigation continues into Ja'Marsay Summerfield's death.


Related stories:

Copyright 2011 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly