Longview fire leaves 6 people homeless - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Longview fire leaves 6 people homeless

LONGVIEW,TX (KLTV)- Neighbors and family rushed to get a handicapped woman out of her burning house in Longview this morning. The fire broke out around 8 this morning in the 300 block of Marion street in Longview.

Investigators say fire originated in the kitchen area and quickly engulfed half of the home.

"Fire crews arrived to find a significant portion of the residence on fire there were 6 persons living at the residence, one of them was an elderly woman in a wheelchair," said Longview fire marshal Johnny Zackary.

Six people were in the home, 3 adults and 3 children.

"It was just smoke while we were in the house, when we came outside that's when the flames started," said Malcom Washington, who's mother was in the wheelchair.

 The family scrambled to get out, but the elderly woman could not get out the front door.  Efforts of neighbors and Washington saved the woman.

"My sister came in a woke me up told us the house was on fire so I came across the street and got a neighbor to help me get my momma out of the house," said Washington. 

"I don't know how we did it but we got that chair up and lifted it out and go her out," said neighbor Jerriel Dixon.

 

"A neighbor and family were able to help her out of the structure prior to the arrival of the fire department," Zackary says.

The homes smoke detectors may have been defective.

"They didn't go off, they didn't make a sound," Washington says.

No one was injured but the family lost everything. The property owner is making alternative housing for the family at a hotel until the end of the month, at his own cost. The red cross will be assisting them with immediate needs.

Copyright 2011 kltv. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly