Tyler family loses everything in house fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Tyler family loses everything in house fire

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Fire investigators have discovered that Sunday's fire in Tyler was not caused by a space heater, but by an extension cord.  

It happened around 6 PM, in the 300 block of Vance St. in North Tyler.

"I just stood there and cried as I watched it fall apart," said Jorge Lopez, owner of the home destroyed in fire.

Jorge said what's even worse was that at first, he thought of one of his kids trapped inside the burning home.

"They asked me if anyone was inside and I told them no because we were all at church. But everyone was worried because we thought one of my sons was inside, but it turns out he was at work," said Jorge.

Fire officials say they initially thought the fire was caused by a space heater that had been left on; instead, it was actually caused by an extension cord.

"After making entry and investigating, I found multiple extension cords being used in the place of permanent wiring and some homemade electrical connections that are dangerous, and electrical shock and fire could be the result," said James Suggs, Tyler Deputy Fire Marshal.

The Lopez Family says they'll be staying at a hotel as they try to figure out their living arrangements.

Fire officials say it's important to maintain your electrical systems, appliances and, above all, always have a smoke detector in every bedroom.

Copyright 2011 KLTV.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly