TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Despite the smoke and flames, this family's dog managed to survive. Family members digging through the rubble this afternoon discovered the dog under a bed.
"I was just glad to see at least one come out and made it through this tragedy," said Patsy Alexander. Alexander spent the afternoon at the aftermath of her uncles home.
Authorities say the fire was started when a faulty heater caught a sofa on fire. The flames quickly spread to the rest of the home.
James Culpepper acted fast. His wife, daughter, two nieces and a baby were in the home when the fire broke out. After getting his family to safety, he tried to fight the flames.
He suffered from burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to a Dallas Hospital. His family says Culpepper and his wife lost everything, including medication.
Culpepper's family is thankful the dog was saved, but are praying for the "hero" who saved so many.
Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.
A lot of us spent quite a bit of time staring at the sun yesterday, which for most of us is really not very common.
Two Texas men pleaded guilty to a federal hate crime for assaults based on a victim’s sexual orientation.
A Longview woman has been arrested on a DWI charge after she ran into the back of a Gregg County Deputy’s patrol car.
Brenda Sanders is recounting the near tragedy that her family experienced yesterday at their noonday home.
A Texas official is throwing his support behind a little league team as they work to bring home the Little League World Series title.