Wedding dress saved in apartment fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Wedding dress saved in apartment fire

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - A soon to be married couple from Lake Charles has lost everything in a devastating fire at Embers Apartments on Tuesday.

KPLC's Lee Peck talked with the couple, and they said they went to the grocery store to get something to cook. When they returned their apartment was on fire.

"We had turned the stove on to cook something. Then decided to go to the store and forgot about the stove. When we returned it was smoking," said Ronn Collins and Kela Toussain.

Though the couple has lost everything there is still a silver lining. Lake Charles Firefighters were able to save one thing, the wedding dress.

"We are getting married in a couple of weeks. All I could think was get my wedding dress. Thankfully the firefighters were able to save it and a bridesmaid dress. And some decorations. The wedding is still on," said Kela.

Red Cross is assisting the couple and other apartment residents who are displaced.

"We call these the silent disasters because fires happen everyday but people don't hear about them. So we are here to provide the clients with food, clothes, if they've lost medicine we help them replace it and make sure they have a place to sleep," said Neal Hardin, with American Red Cross Southwest Louisiana.

No one was injured in the fire.  

Copyright 2011 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly