ETX Man survives house fire by sleeping in car - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

ETX Man survives house fire by sleeping in car

LINDALE, TX (KLTV) - An early morning fire destroys a mobile home in Smith County.

Around 4:08 this morning, the Lindale Fire Department responded to a fire reported in the 22,000 block of Hwy 69, just north of Lindale.

When crews arrived on the scene they found heavy flames coming from the center of the home.

"I tried to get in there to save a few things but it was too late," said Donald Winans, lost everything in fire.

Winans said he came home from work around 1AM when he realized the storm knocked out his power.

He says he lit a candle to get around the house, but the house became too hot, so he opted for a cooler place.

 "I came out to my pick up because I said shoot its cooler out here so I'll just grab me a couple of pillows and stay in my pick up," said Winans

Three hours later Winans says he woke up to a blaze.

"WellI I thought oh the electricity is back on but then realized it wasn't the electricity the house was on fire," said Winans.

Winans says he attempted to go inside the home to save some items, but it was too late.

The Smith County Fire Marshal says because the house did not have any power or gas at the time, the fire started from the candle.

"I've had them sitting there burning all day but that wind blowing might have blown a piece of paper up there or something I don't really know," said Winans.

"It scared me, the first thing I thought off was him and the cat you know the rest of the stuff can always be replaced," said Shawna Mcdougall, Winans' friend.

Winans says he's been living in this mobile home for about 2 and a half years, and does not have renters insurance.

The Smith County Fire Marshals say the home is a total loss.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly