8-year-old runs for help after family car crashes - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

8-year-old runs for help after family car crashes

CHEROKEE COUNTY, TEXAS (KLTV) -  If you ask Lane Taylor, 8, he'll tell you that the best part about being a hero is that his family is back together. 

Friday night, Lane and his 3-year-old brother, Gage, were riding with their mother in the family's SUV. They were headed north on FM 752, just outside Rusk.

Lane's mom, Ashley Taylor, said Lane was riding in the front passenger seat; Gage was in his car-seat in the backseat and started to cry. When Ashley turned to see what was wrong, she said she side-swiped a mailbox, over-corrected the SUV and spun off the roadway. The car rammed head-on into a tree.

Ashley said she blacked out from the impact, but when she came to, she could hear Lane calling her. She said her son made sure she and her three-year-old were okay before he climbed through the broken window of the mangled SUV.

"I thought that was going to be the last time I was going to see him," she said with tears in her eyes. "I honestly thought I was dying; I couldn't feel anything--I couldn't move."

Lane said he jumped out because his mom and brother were hurt. He said he ran as fast as he could across the road to a nearby house.

"No one was home," he said. Lane kept running to the next house, but no one was there either.

He was still running when a neighbor who'd heard the crash found him on the side of the road and picked him up.

Lane said the hardest part was running with the pain in his leg from the accident.

"There's some adults that couldn't have done what he did, but he did it," said Ashley.

Lane's mom said she's never been more grateful, or more proud.

"That's my hero," she said.

Lane was taken to a Jacksonville hospital for his injuries. His mother was flown to a Tyler Hospital with injuries to her pelvis. His little brother was flown to Children's in Dallas with fractured skull. 

Lane and his mom were released, Friday night. Gage, spent two nights in the hospital for observation, but is expected to make a full recovery.

The family tells us the first time they were all together following the accident was Sunday afternoon--Mother's Day.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly