Dog turns on stove and sets apartment on fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Dog turns on stove and sets apartment on fire

LAFAYETTE, LA (WAFB) - Man's best friend is being blamed for setting a fire in an apartment Wednesday evening, but it may not be the only one at fault.

Fire investigators believe the dog turned on the knobs of a stove, which led to the fire.

However, firefighters added the canine's owner may be partially to blame.

They said JD Domengeaux put his trash can on the stove top to keep the dog from eating out of it.

His plan worked, but it didn't keep the dog from jumping to try to reach it.

Firemen think the dog accidentally turned on the knobs while trying to get to the trash can.

It happened in Lafayette around 5 p.m.

Domengeaux was not home when the fire sparked, but a neighbor was.

He saw smoke in his unit and called emergency officials.

Firefighters quickly responded and were able to rescue the dog.

Domengeaux's apartment sustained fire and smoke damage, while the neighbor's apartment suffered smoke and water damage.

The fire was ruled an accident by the Lafayette Fire Department.

Click here for more, including video of the scene

Copyright 2011 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly