Stove top fire burns down East Texas home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Stove top fire burns down East Texas home

SMITH COUNTY (KLTV) - A kitchen fire burned down a home being rented by a family of six. The fire broke out late Tuesday night at the home on Bay Shore Drive near Lake Palestine in Smith County.

The fire left a flaming visual in Larkin crouch's memory, the oldest of the four children.

"The fire was bad, it was all the way across the street, the fire was real high, every single neighbor could see it," says the oldest child, Larkin Crouch. His mother then chimed in saying, "There was flames that you could see coming from here, from the other house."

Charlotte Crouch, says when the fire broke out, all of her children and her husband were in the other home they owned just up the street. .

She went to the house, that is now nothing but ashes, by her self..

"I decided that I was going to cook supper down at the other house, because that's where all of our food was," Crouch said, "Decided to bring the food down here, and then afterwards I decided to walk back down there, and turn off the lights and close down everything and I saw some flames coming out and smoke."

After she was done cooking, Crouch says she accidentally left the stove on.

With losing everything in their rental home, the Crouch's are just glad they have each other.

Crouch says, "Yesterday, my Grandma died that morning, and then of coarse the house fire last night, so it's been a very bad week for all of us, but we will make it and get through it."

The family says they do have renter's insurance, and they are able to stay at their other property for now.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly