Ferris Wheel Closed In Respect

It was a show of respect Tuesday night for the man electrocuted Monday at the Gregg County fair. While the show went on, the lights on the ferris wheel were dim. 20 year old Timothy Swickard of Staples, Texas was making last minute adjustments on the ferris wheel last night, when he made a move that took his life.

Fair manager, Billy Clay says Timothy was working on the lights when his knee touched a power source. It's located behind the star in the middle of the ride and Clay says it doesn't pose a danger to passengers in the seats. Timothy had worked on this ride for about two years. Those who knew him say he was a hard worker, who would've been happy to see the fair open as scheduled. Fair grounds manager Billy Clay said, "Now we're just trying to pick up the pieces and go on. I know he would have wanted it." Longview fire marshal Mark Moore said, "Accidents happen everyday and I think this is just a tragic accident and I hope it doesn't dampen the atmosphere of the fair because it's for the children."

OSHA is on site investigating the accident. Crabtree Amusements, who operates the fair, says last night's electrocution is the first accident the fair has had during Crabtree's 16 years in Longview.