Trip to bathroom may have helped save family from fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Trip to bathroom may have helped save family from fire

(WMC-TV) - Loniece Robertson, 12, started crying shortly after our interview began in one of two motel rooms now shared by two adults and seven children.  She had one simple wish.

"That it will never happen again," said Loniece.

Loniece and her family escaped the house they rented on Rochester Street in South Memphis just after midnight Monday after fire erupted from a electrical socket.

The family returned several hours later to inspect the damage.

"And I went to the house and it was just terrible and couldn't stay in there," said Loniece through her tears.

Loniece us she happened to get up to go to the bathroom as the fire started right next to her bed.

"It came out of the socket and directly to the mattress," recalled her mother Carolyn Hinton.  "She would most definitely been injured or killed if she had stayed in bed," he added.

Loniece heard the smoke detector since she was up and met her mother in a hallway to begin waking up a houseful of sleeping children.

"We were running to get out of the house alive because the fire spread so quick," said Hinton.

Loniece and her family credit a working smoke detector and her good timing for saving them.

"I've been thinking about just how grateful I am to get out of the house alive," said Loniece.

Hinton took in many of the children who now call her mom.  They lost virtually everything in the fire.  The American Red Cross paid for two nights at the motel.

Donations for the family can be made to the "Carolyn Hinton Fund" at any Regions Bank branch.

Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly