Man ignites when he lights cigarette - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Man ignites when he lights cigarette

Man ignites when he lights cigarette

By Lindsey Connell - bio | email

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Detectives say a Columbus man was so severely burned that he needed to be airlifted to the Burn Center in Augusta, GA.

Few details are being released but investigators say a 46-year-old man showed up at the Medical Center Sunday night with burns to his arm and stomach.

The man told doctors he had spilled gasoline on himself when he was pouring it into a lawnmower and thought it had dried and evaporated. When he went  to light a cigarette, his skin ignited. 

Doctors quickly transferred him to the Augusta Burn Center for treatment.

Investigators say a family member who witnessed the incident contacted them Monday and told them it was not an accident and gave a different version of what happened.

The witness claims the victim's girlfriend poured gasoline on him and then he lit a cigarette.

Police are not releasing the victim's name. Detectives tell WTVM they will be getting a statement from him from the hospital.

News Leader 9 will continue to follow this story and bring you the latest information as it becomes available to us.

Copyright 2011 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly