"All of sudden, the floor started vibrating." - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

"All of sudden, the floor started vibrating."

By Layron Livingston - bio | email

SMITH COUNTY, TEXAS (KLTV) - The shaky video was captured on a digital camera inside Narita Airport in Japan.

"It felt like [the airport] was literally shifting, moving on wheels," described Darrell Deitenbeck.

Deitenbeck is in the Navy and lives in Troup. He said he was on his way back to East Texas from Korea when he and nearly two-dozen servicemen landed in Japan for what was supposed to be a two-hour layover.

But then, "The floor started vibrating," he said.

The video shows people running, taking cover, it shows the walls and the windows inside the airport terminal shaking as the quake grew stronger. An announcement eventually comes over the intercom alerting passengers to what just happened. 

"I saw people crying, consoling loved ones and children," said Deitenbeck. "People were just amazed that the building did not fall apart around them."

Passengers were moved outside to the tarmac after the shaking stopped. Airport personnel wanted to make sure the building was structurally sound.

They were eventually let back inside where ceiling tiles and vents and chairs were scattered about.

Darrell's two-hour lay-over stretched nearly two days. He landed in Tyler, Saturday afternoon.

Jennifer Rader, of Tyler, teaches English to Japanese children in Sendai, Japan. Her mother told us she was finally able to get a signal to call home, early Saturday morning. She'd slept in her school because the area was without power. We're told it was one of the hardest hit.

Airman Wynton Warren, of Longview, flew into Okinawa just moments after the tsunami hit. He sent a text to his family, Saturday morning letting him know that he was okay. 

Robert Adair grew up in Tyler, but he and his wife, Roberta are in Japan doing ministry work.

His Facebook status read: "The quake was close enough that it shook us both pretty good." In another post he writes. "Roberta and I are fine."

"I'm hoping that it's not going to take a major toll," said Ken Tomio. Tomio works with the Tyler Museum of Art. It was "Family Day" at the Museum, Saturday. Ken spent the day before trying to get through to his own relatives in Tokyo.

"My mom's okay, my sister and her family are okay, and my brother's okay." But Tomio said he's yet to hear from two of his oldest daughters who live in the city.

He's optimistic they will contact him soon.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly