Fire destroys Harrison County home

By Bob Hallmark - bio | email

LONGVIEW,TX (KLTV)- Funds are now being set up for a Harrison County family, two days after a fire gutted their home on Airlite Road near Hallsville. A raging fire destroyed the Nixon home on Friday around 6pm. Just minutes before, Kathy Nixon had gone into it to get some items before she went to work.

"When I went in the back door I opened it and walked in and saw the smoke and the flames,I grabbed some laundry that was on the bed and ran out," she says.

Seconds later the old wood frame home was an inferno.

"Its just flames coming all out of the top of the roof and everything mainly on the front part of it, and through all the vents on top , smoke was coming out of all of them," says Kathy's brother Larry Bazar.

Nixon got her dogs away from the house, but soon everything was gone.

"I opened up the garage door there for a second just to see if there was anything I could get in and see , so much smoke I just shut it again and got out of the way," Bazar says.

They lost and extensive antique collection, furniture, and all their clothes. Only a few picture albums and bible could be saved. The Nixons are insured, but right now need clothing and shoes. If you'd like to help, you can contact Eastman Credit Union tomorrow for information on donations.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.