"We all grew up here and now I have to tear it down" - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

"We all grew up here and now I have to tear it down"

By Samantha Jordan – bio| email

TYLER, TX (KLTV)-  A faulty extension cord is now being blamed for a fire that destroyed a Tyler family's home.

Around 1 P.M. Wednesday, Tyler firefighters were called to a burning house on W. Cedar Street.

Homeowner Della Faye Arthur says she thought something terrible was going to happen.

"I believe it was Monday or Sunday that something was going to happen,  I didn't know what it was, but I had those feelings that something was going to happen. I said somebody's going to die or something I just didn't know what it was but I couldn't shake those feelings," said Della Faye.

Helplessly she watched her home of more than 45 years lost to flames and smoke. 

"My grandmother was here, my grandfather was here, I'm here brothers and sisters, other family members here we all just grew up here and now I have to tear it down," said Sam Arthur, son.

The family says no one was inside when the fire started. Authorities worked on the home for more than an hour to put out the flames.

"It did spread pretty fast and once it got in the attic there's nothing there to slow it down and with the partial collapse and everything we couldn't go inside," said Brandon Davis, Asst. Fire Marshal, Tyler Fire Department.

And while many would be devastated by the occurrence Della Faye was in good sprits.

"I don't have need to complain it don't belong to me all this stuff belongs to god all he does is lends it to us for a while so I don't feel any pain I'm just thankful," said Della Faye.

The faulty cord investigators believe started the fire was found under the bed in the master bedroom.  Investigators say the cord could have shorted out when it touched the metal frame on the bed.

Della Faye says she and her daughter will be staying at her son's house for now.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly