BULLITT COUNTY, KY (WAVE) - The disturbing story of cats mutilated and killed in Jefferson and Bullitt County continues to unravel.
Saturday night, the remains of two more cats found in Hillview. Now new details are emerging as to why 24-year-old Alex Phelps allegedly killed the animals.
We were first to tell you that Phelps reportedly got some of the cats after answering ads on Craigslist. Phelps was arrested and charged with torturing and killing cats last week. Police say he confessed to stabbing and killing four animals with a sharp knife.
Now the big question is why?
"That's the question," said Bullitt County Detective Tim Waters. "From what I understand, with talking with the detectives in Louisville, he did say he was conducting some type of research. What kind of research that is, I don't know."
Many viewers that contacted us to say they gave their cats to Phelps and want to know what happened to their animals. Waters says it's too early to tell.
Waters did say they did find blood, believed to be from cats, in Phelps' truck.
Phelps is expected to be face charges from Bullitt County this week and LMPD detectives say they expect to file additional charges as more people come forward claiming they gave their cats to Phelps.
Phelps is expected back in court Jan. 10th.
- More cats found tortured and killed
- More people contact WAVE 3 after man is charged with torturing and killing cats
- More viewers contact WAVE 3 saying they gave a Bullitt County man their cats
- Woman says man accused of torturing cats got the animals on Craigslist
- Bond set at $50K for man charged in cat abuse cases
- LMPD collects evidence to find who tortured and mutilated cats