CARTERVILLE, IL (KFVS) - A Carterville family is alive after they escaped a burning home early Tuesday morning. They say they have their dog to thank.
Carterville Firefighters responded to a call on Eaton Street just before 5 a.m.
Chief Bruce Talley says when crews arrived the family was already out of the home.
Homeowner, David Falmer says that's because the family dog, Fiesta woke them up.
Falmer says Fiesta barked to wake him up around 3 a.m. and that's when he smelled smoke.
Falmer says there was a flue fire in the fireplace. He was actually able to put that out himself.
However, the fire later flared up again and once again Fiesta alerted the family.
This time it was out of control, so Falmer, his wife and daughter got out to safety.
Chief Talley reminds everyone to be careful of what you burn and how often you clean the fire place.