By Jeff Rivenbark - email
FORT MILL, SC (WBTV) - Sheriff's deputies say they have charged a couple who passed out following a drug overdose after their child was found wandering down a road all by himself.
According to the York County Sheriff's Office, someone found 7-year-old Jayden Robinson on Thursday, Dec. 2. The child was barefooted and not wearing a jacket.
The neighbor took Jayden to his home at 175 Brookshire Drive to find the child's parents, Ashley Higginbotham, 25, and Wesley Robinson, 28.
No one answered the door and the neighbor called Louis Herrera who came to the house. Herrera told sheriff's deputies when he arrived, Robinson was on the front porch smoking a cigarette.
Herrera's wife went inside the home and found Higginbotham in a back bedroom. Herrera then called York County 911.
When sheriff's deputies arrived, they found Robinson sitting on a couch in a daze, and Higginbotham was passed out on the bed. Both appeared to have overdosed on drugs, sheriff's investigators said.
Robinson told deputies they had taken Xanex and Klonopins. Deputies also found several pill bottles of Adderall and Welbuttrin in the sitting and kitchen areas of the home.
Both adults were transported by ambulance to Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville.
Investigators said they observed an orange type of syringe in the kitchen trash bag within plain view. Sheriff's deputies also found a spoon with burn marks where it had been heated up. The residue in the spoon was black and consistent with Heroin use.
There was also a cat litter box overflowing with feces, the sheriff's report said.
The boy was turned over to the Herreras and family members.
The couple is facing charges for drug overdose and unlawful neglect of a child.