Woman with gun taken from Charlotte TV station; nightly news taken off air

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A woman with a gun was taken into custody after everyone was evacuated from a Charlotte TV station Tuesday afternoon.

There were reports from police that a shot was fired, but officials at the TV station said that the woman never fired the weapon.

According to Chief Rodney Monroe, Wendy Naidas came into the lobby at the WSOC-TV studio around 5:05 p.m. armed with a gun.  People inside the lobby ran out of the lobby.

Chief Monroe told WBTV that the woman threatened the receptionist and herself while they were barricaded in the building.

WSOC-TV anchor Blair Miller tweeted from the situation "Not on air. Distraught woman with gun in lobby. Police have building surrounded. Employees evacuated."

The building was evacuated, all of the employees were gathered in the back part of the parking lot.  The station was off-air for about 45 minutes.  After they evacuated the building they aired with commercials only until about 5:15, but then went black and was off the air until 6:08 p.m..

A producer at WSOC tweeted that all of the employees from the newsroom were all evacuated to the back lot.

"Evacuation happened approx. 5:05 during my show," producer Katie tweeted.

Police initially told WBTV that at least one shot was fired during the incident, but Chief Monroe later said that no shots were fired.

SWAT teams were able to make contact with Naidas and surrounded the building.  They were able to take her into custody around 5:45 p.m.

Naidas was taken away in an ambulance to be evaluated.

WSOC-TV producer Katie later tweeted that management told employees that the "woman was upset and just wanted someone to talk to. She put gun to her head, never pointed at anyone."

Chief Monroe told WBTV that after checking the gun, officers learned the gun was not loaded.

Just after 6 p.m., employees at the TV station were allowed back inside the building.

Copyright 2010 WBTV. All rights reserved.