8 year old saves family from burning home

By Jena Johnson - bio | email | Twitter

TYLER, TX (KLTV)- He's only in the second grade, but La Keith Ford is a hero. Authorities said the eight year old's quick thinking saved his family from a fire in their home on Jackson Street in Tyler. Authorities said the fire started in the back bedroom early Sunday morning.

La Keith is still recovering from the scary experience. After seeing flames shooting out from his family's space heater, La Keith said that's when he woke up his mom.

"He said, 'momma the house is on fire,' and I said, 'no.' And he said, 'yes it is,' and I said, 'no, it can't be,' and he said, 'yes, it is!' And that's when I jumped up," said Caskisha Ford, La Keith's mother.

Caskisha said her son then helped her getting all six family members out the door before the flames erupted.

"If he wouldn't have been there we probably would have died," said Caskisha.

The house had no fire alarm, only La Keith to wake his sleeping family. And fortunately he knew what to do.

"Get out of the house," said La Keith.

Not much was salvaged. Only a stroller and a few baby clothes left in the yard. Although the family lost everything, Caskisha said her son's face is a constant reminder of what was saved.

"I'm just glad I got out of there because we all could have been gone," she said.

If you would like to help the Ford family, contact the Red Cross at 903-509-4757.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.