8 families displaced by apartment fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

8 families displaced by apartment fire

Photo Source: RC_huckster via Twitter Photo Source: RC_huckster via Twitter
TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

By Courtney Lane - bio | email
Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email | Twitter

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - The investigation is over for a fire that put eight East Texas families in the care of the Red Cross.

Investigators say the fire broke out around 7:30 Wednesday night at the Hudson Apartments on Shiloh Road in Tyler. Investigators say the fire was an accident, possibly sparked by some electrical wiring. They have now turned it over to the insurance investigator.

The Tyler Fire Department also explained where it started, a question many residents wanted to know.

Around dinner time flames raced through eight units at the Hudson apartment complex.

"We had a structure that was fully involved on the top floor," said Brandon Davis, Tyler's assistant fire marshal.

Fire crews say the blaze swept through four upstairs units. Another four units below have lots of water damage. It is the area in between the two stories where investigators say the fire started.

"That's where all the electrical is run for the apartment units and no other ignition sources were found," said Davis.

When the 9-1-1 call came in, fire crews raced to the scene, but the building was already engulfed and flames could be seen from miles away. Firefighters had to make sure everyone was out safely, then begin an exterior attack.

"To arrive on the scene and have that large of a fire, they did an excellent job of stopping it and containing it," said Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley.

The eight families who lost their home and belongings are being assisted by the American Red Cross and given a temporary place to stay. Early Thursday afternoon clean-up began.

Though tragic and frightening, everyone we spoke to realizes it could have been much worse.

"We're extremely thankful that no one was injured in this fire - no civilians no firefighters," said Findley."

There were working smoke detectors and fire fighters say this serves as an important reminder to check yours.

Again, the fire was strictly accidental and is now being turned over to an insurance investigator.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly