Fire officials: Apartment fire cause may be electrical

Photo Source: Chopper 7
Photo Source: Chopper 7
Photo Source: Chopper 7
Photo Source: Chopper 7

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - By Kerri Compton - email | Twitter

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Tyler fire officials say they believe faulty wiring may have led to the fire that destroyed an apartment building Wednesday night.  Tyler fire chief, Neal Franklin, says the fire was not intentionally set.

The point of origin was between the ceiling of the first story apartment and the floor of the second story apartment, where there is insulation and wiring, say officials.  They cannot, however, confirm that the fire was electrical. An insurance investigator is coming Thursday afternoon. Clean up is underway.

The fire broke out around 7:30 Wednesday evening. Some people passing by stopped to try to help, but could not get close because of the heat from the flames. "It engulfed it pretty quick," said Brian Werner. "It's amazing to see how quick a fire can go like that. It just started on one end and took over."

No one was hurt in the blaze at the Hudson Apartments Wednesday night, but the search continues for some of the pets belonging to people at the complex who lost their homes because of the fire.

Firefighters have been at the complex in south Tyler on Shiloh Road since last night to monitor hot spots and watch for any flare-ups. They say, so far, there have not been any problems.

People who live at the complex give credit to the Tyler Fire Department for its quick response. "A firefighter kicked our door in," said Patti Williams. "I said, 'I've got to get my handbag,' but he said, 'No, you're out of here!' He was great. He saved everybody in our building."

The Red Cross is assisting some of the families who lost their homes. Part of Shiloh Road was closed while firefighters battled the flames, but the road is open for traffic Wednesday morning.

A fund has been set up for those wanting to help the fire victims. People can donate at any Austin Bank location. Just donate to the fund set up named Hudson Apartment Fire.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.