Family of 8 says smoke alarm saved lives in Tuesday fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Family of 8 says smoke alarm saved lives in Tuesday fire

Ellewyn White says the smoke alarm saved her family's lives. Ellewyn White says the smoke alarm saved her family's lives.
LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

By Morgan Thomas - email

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin firefighters say a smoke alarm saved their lives early Tuesday in a fire which destroyed a home on Carver Street.

According to Fire Marshal Lee Fran, the home on the 900 block caught fire at 12:52 a.m. A man in the home heard the smoke alarm sound and discovered a fire and managed to get everyone out of the house.

Fran said firefighters arrived at the home before 1 a.m., but it was fully engulfed. The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but the home was destroyed.

The family, which includes two, three-year-old twins, their mother, grandmother and three teenagers, had just had the smoke alarms installed in March, during the Lufkin Fire Department's campaign to install smoke alarms.

LFD came up with the campaign after the February death of Clemente Parker, who died in a fire on Sayers Street. Firefighters believe he would have not died had he had a smoke alarm.

Home Depot donated the smoke alarms to the fire department.

Copyright 2010 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly