- High school - Robert E. Lee, Tyler, TX (1977)
- Bachelor of Science (Biology) - Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX (1977—1981).
- Medical Degree - University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX (1981-1985).
- Preceptorship in Eye Pathology — Wilmer Eye Institute (John Hopkins Medical School) (July through August, 1983).
- Residency (Ophthalmology) — University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital (1985-1989).
- Certification: American Board of Ophthalmology American Board of Eye Surgery
- DeHaven Eye Clinic / DeHaven Surgical Center since July 1989
- Clinical Instructor in ophthalmology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas since March 1990.
- Dr. DeHaven is an Adjunct Professor of Continuing Education, University of Houston College of Optometry.
- Graduated Cum Laude from Southern Methodist University.
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society at SMU.
- National Honor Society in High School.
- ‘Athlete of the Year’ at Robert E. Lee High School, 1977.
- Texas “All-State” swimming team, 1977.
- Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical Society, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School, 1985.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Texas Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Texas Ophthalmological Association
- Dallas Academy of Ophthalmology
- Smith County Medical Society
- The Learning Curve in Extracapsular Cataract Extraction (resident experience), (unpublished) 1987.
- Glare and Contrast Sensitivity Testing (unpublished) 1988.
- Endothelial Cell Loss in ECCE vs Phacoemulsification (unpublished) 1989.
Activities and Interests: