LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - Released by the Gregg County Historical Museum:
LONGVIEW, TX - The Gregg County Historical Museum is proud to present the 11th Annual Landmarks of Longview Architectural Tour. In honor of long time contributors of Longview and Gregg County and in recognition of their generosity of spirit, this year's tour is being held in honor of Anne Dean Turk and the late John William Turk.
This year's Landmark of Longview tour will feature 5 beautiful locations.
The Everett Building, 214 N. Fredonia Street
Serving as the cornerstone for our 2010 Landmarks Tour, the Gregg County Historical Museum, also known as the Everett Building, is celebrating its one hundred year anniversary this year. Built as Citizen's National Bank, its Corinthian columns of pink granite create a stately first impression. Inside, hand-laid tile floors and pressed tin ceilings give a glimpse into the character of architecture in the early 1900's. The lovely building was donated to the Museum by Mrs. Ann Lacy Crain in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers Lacy.
Daniels House, 310 S. Green
This Arts and Crafts style home, circa 1920, was built by Mr. Oliver Daniel. He rose to prominence as a businessman later serving as President of First Federal Savings and Loan. The present owners, Mr. and Mrs. John Wrather, have found the centrally located and spacious house suited to their needs for a comfortable office as well as for his photography studio and for her sculpture studio. While remodeling in 2004, they kept the original floors, chose colors and furnishings in keeping with the Craftsman style, and the replacement windows and light fixtures are reminiscent of that era.
Dean House, 315 S. Fredonia
Mrs. Anne Dean Turk, prominent Longview musician, grew up in this house, thought to be one of the oldest in Gregg County. Built in Queen Ann style and located at that time on First Street, it later became the home of Honeysuckle Montessori School, serving kindergarten and pre-school students in the 60's and 70's. Bought in the 80's by Mrs. Vicki Jones, it was moved to its present location and served as a gallery for Mrs. Jones' works of art. She later donated the house to First Baptist Church, and today it is enjoyed by their college students.
The Junction, 800 E. Methvin
Thought to be built in the early 1900's, this building was designed in the Tudor style. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Miller, have extensively remodeled the interior to be reminiscent of a quaint European coffee shop which, indeed, it will be following its completion in early 2011. The Millers have created warmly inviting rooms with a Country French flair influenced by memories of the 11 years they spent in France while serving as missionaries. Comfortable seating areas invite patrons to linger.
Pelaia Law Office, 133 E. Tyler Street
Housing the law offices of Ralph Pelaia, this remarkable and attractive renovation is a welcome addition to the list of Tyler Street buildings finding new life and purpose. Its traditional style, complimented with classical touches, has been warmed with dark woods and Old World paint colors. The use of columns adds interest along with colorful rugs and traditional art. On a hallway wall, large photographs of early downtown Longview remind visitors of the continuing importance of this hub of East Texas.