TYLER, TX (KLTV) - By Jamey Boyum - email
TYLER, TX (KLTV) - The Tyler Fire Department responded quickly to a fire at Zion Temple Apostolic Church around 9:45 Monday morning.
The building is being renovated, and it was nearing completion when electrical wiring started the fire. In just 10 minutes the Tyler Fire Department had the fire out.
Pastor Hershal Massenburge was at home when he received word. "We were actually getting ready to have some services - open house and everything at the end of this week so this just set us back a little bit," he said.
Contractors were moving wiring to expand the women's restroom. "When we got ready to move the fixture, the wires crossed and caused the short, and that's where we had the fire," Pastor Massenburge explained.
He says insurance is an issue. "[With] the extent of the work we had to do, we were not able to get insurance on the building at the time so we were doing a lot of the work and trying to get it up to code and put all the things in that we needed to do," he explained.
"We're still excited about what God is doing," Massenburge added. "We've come a long way and this is just a temporary setback. We know that God is going to bless us. We've made it this far, so it's a little disheartening but we know we still have faith in God and we are going to finish this project."
The Church is already over budget and needs your help. If you are interested in making a donation, an account has been set up at American State Bank (formerly Arp State Bank) under Zion Temple Tyler of the Apostolic Faith. Call 903-944-0866 for more information.