Classes resume at elementary school after gas leak - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Classes resume at elementary school after gas leak


SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Wednesday morning Jackson Elementary was evacuated because of a natural gas leak at a nearby house where the gas meter was broken.

More than 400 students and employees were moved to a field to the west of the school. Then, a Center Point Gas Company representative tested every room in the school for gas.

Rod Scott lives next door, and was awakened by a woman who told him a neighbor's gas meter was spewing gas.

"They wanted us to get out of our houses," said Scott. "There was a lot of people who they didn't notify so it really wasn't a bad situation, but the primary thing we were trying to do was to make sure the kids were safe over at the school."

The students were evacuated because the gas could be smelled outside the school.

Three people complained of headaches and a student was given oxygen, but no one needed to be hospitalized.

By 11:30 a.m. all the students were back in class.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly