Blind man escapes Nacogdoches fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Blind man escapes Nacogdoches fire

By Jena Johnson - email

NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - A blind Nacogdoches man says he narrowly escaped his burning home Sunday evening.

Jeronenoford Scott says an air-conditioning unit sparked the fire that consumed most of his Old Tyler Road home.

Scott lived there with his brother. Now all that's left is memories and a charred frame.

He says his sense of smell saved his life.

"I just happen to be sitting in the front room where the air conditioning is near the front door facing toward the street and as soon as I heard an explosion and felt the heat like fire I didn't go towards it, I went away from it and went to the door and I got outside and stood out in the yard," Scott said.

Scott says he lost everything in the fire, including his hearing aid and cane to get around.

Copyright 2010 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly