Bible, home saved from fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Bible, home saved from fire

Photo Source: Michael Reeves Photo Source: Michael Reeves
TROUP, TX (KLTV) -

By Sara Story - bio | email
Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email | Twitter

TROUP, TX (KLTV) - It was quick action by East Texas firefighters that saved a house from being completely destroyed by flames. Troup and Arp fire departments responded to the fire at the 18000 block of West Lakeview Drive in Troup Monday afternoon. That is in The East Shore Estates subdivision on Lake Tyler.

Laura Petty saved what was left of her personal belongings

"Every second that ticked by felt like five minutes and so I thought, 'Aww man. The house is just going to burn down right here in front of me,'" said Petty.

But, the home did not burn to the ground. Firefighters were able to keep the fire contained in the attic.

"When you have fire in the attic, it normally ruins the entire attic and you lose the home," explained Oren Hale, the Assistant Fire Marshal for Smith County. "Nine times out of 10 that's just how it is. They did a great stop."

Monday afternoon, Petty was home when she noticed a distinct smell.

"I just smelled smoke and just smelled like fire attached to it so I went across the hall and went into their bedroom and just followed the smoke, looked in the closet, looked up above and saw flames up above," said Petty.

A fire had ignited in the attic. Petty ran outside and immediately dialed 911.

"They kept it contained to the attic," said Hale. "It was caused by a electric exhaust fan - attic exhaust fan overheating."

"I was real glad I was here, or it probably would have been burned to the ground," said Petty.

Petty's roommates and owners of the house were not home when the fire started. Most of their belongings were saved, but suffered smoke and water damage. Petty says she salvaged her most valuable items.

"That's the first things I thought of was, 'Oh no! My Bible is going to burn up and this painting,'" said Petty. "I thought, 'No, it can't!'"

Both were saved, along with the house that still stands. Petty said the fire fighters were able to extinguish the flames out in 30 minutes.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly