Man saves East Texas woman from mobile home fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Man saves East Texas woman from mobile home fire

Photo Source: Carol Green Photo Source: Carol Green
CHEROKEE COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

By Courtney Lane - bio | email
Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email

CHEROKEE COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - An East Texas man heroically saves a woman from a burning mobile home. It happened just after 11 a.m. along County Road 1616 in Cherokee County just outside Jacksonville.

"The flame was so loud and roaring," said Ricky Wilburn.

The scary part about it was that as the flames grew, a woman was inside asleep. By the time she woke up, flames were at her bedroom door.

"She was hollering for somebody to help her," said Ricky.

He was visiting his sister next door and ran to help, but found no way to get in.

"The fire was done down to this door and I tried to open it and it was nailed shut," said Ricky.

Ricky says he broke out this window and ripped off the screen, yelling for the trapped woman to come towards him.

"I just reached in there, I felt her arms and I just jerked her through the window," said Ricky. "That's all I knew to do because the fire done got to her bedroom...She was as black as your britches when she got out. I mean that smoke was like burning tires."

"I feel like we're lucky that the good Lord used us to save her life," said Sharon Wilburn, Ricky's sister.

Sharon had her granddaughter call 9-1-1 and credits her brother for saving her neighbor's life.

"My brother's a big hero," said Sharon. "I don't care what anybody else says about my brother. I love him and he's a big hero."

"I feel good about saving her, yes," said Ricky. "Anybody would have done the same thing. What was I supposed to do just stand there?"

Wilburn is reluctant to take the title of hero, but says he never even thought about getting burned himself.

"I figure if I save her life, a little burn you know I can get over it," said Ricky.

We are told the woman was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Four people live there but fortunately no one else was home at the time.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly