Fire strikes, man escapes - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Fire strikes, man escapes

Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - A Longview man using his stove as a heater burned down two units at an apartment complex Tuesday morning.

When the Longview Fire Department got to the fire a 127 East Melton Street, two units were in flames. William Armstrong said he had all four burners going when he fell asleep in his apartment. The fire and smoke did not wake him up, but fortunately, a friend did.

"She woke me up and told me, 'It's a fire!'" said William Armstrong. "I woke up and grabbed my pants and my shoes...look back in the kitchen and I see a big blaze in the roof...I moved around. I got up out of there. And then it went up like that."

Right now, the resident from the other apartment is still missing. Fire investigators say there were no remains found in the ashes.

©2010 KLTV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly