Poison 101: What Dangers are Lurking in Your Home?

Poison 101

At 6 months old or even 2 years, dangerous substances are often right in a child's line of vision. Here are some dangers that parents should be aware of.

Three household items -- three serious dangers.

Pediatrician Cornelia Franz, M.D., says simple mistakes can have complex outcomes.

"They really can be life-threatening. We've had children that got into tri-cyclic antidepressants, which can cause cardiac heart rhythm problems and that will put you in the hospital overnight," Dr. Franz, of Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Women in Orlando, tells Ivanhoe.

Gabriel knows it's not good to sample pills in the medicine cabinet. "Because it wastes it," he says.

His reason might be off, but Dr. Franz can clear that up. She says, "Well, it does waste it, but also if you took it and you don't need it and you took too much, it could make you very sick, couldn't it?"

Do you know how often a child is poisoned? Every 30 seconds, 30 minutes, or 90 minutes?

If you guessed every 30 seconds, you're right. Do you know what the most common poison children under 6 ingest is?

Cosmetics actually top that list. Dishwashing detergent can also be dangerous because it burns the esophagus.

Experts recommend you keep vitamins secure because they can cause an iron overdose and keep pills tucked away because they can look identical to candy.

By just putting yourselves in their shoes, you can avoid a trip to the emergency room.

Although some treatments will require you to induce vomiting, vomiting may make some poisons more dangerous. Dr. Franz says it's best to call the poison control hotline if you have any questions about a poison. If your child ingests a product, they'll advise you how to treat it.