Elderly woman dies in fire, no smoke alarms in home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Elderly woman dies in fire, no smoke alarms in home

94-year-old Alla McCray 94-year-old Alla McCray

By Ellen Krafve - email

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - It was an early morning blaze that took an East Texan's home and her life.

94-year-old Alla McCray died early Monday morning, around 2am, after her home in the 900 block of Walnut Street caught on fire. According to the Longview Fire Department's Assistant Chief Kenny Southwell, McCray tried to escape the fire that investigators believe originated in her home's kitchen or bathroom area, but was unable to and was found in a hallway just outside her bedroom with a flashlight in her hand.

Fire investigators have ruled the fire to be accidental and are looking into the possibility of it being electrical.

They say McCray might have been saved if she had had smoke alarms in her home.

©2009 KLTV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly