He ran up yelling, "The stove exploded." - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

He ran up yelling, "The stove exploded!"

Posted by Morgan Chesky - bio | email

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Fire authorities say a thirteen year old boy is in a Dallas Hospital suffering from third degree burns after he claims his propane stove blew up.

Around 10:20 p.m. Saturday night Winona and Red Springs Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a house fire at 16000 Smith County Road 363, two miles north of Starrville. When they arrived, they found a single-wide mobile home engulfed in flames.

Fire crews working together were able to quickly extinguish the flames in around fifteen minutes. Despite the short burn time, flames burned through the majority of the home with fire authorities declaring it a total loss.

Witnesses told first responders shortly after ten p.m. the only person inside the home, a thirteen year old boy ran out of the house and across the street to a neighbors home yelling, "The stove exploded." A 911 phone call from a neighbor alerted authorities.

Assistant Smith County Fire Marshal Marilynn Wilson says the boy was badly burned on twenty-five percent of his body and was taken to Dallas Parkland Hospital for treatment.

©2009 KLTV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly