WebXtra: Woman's son saves her from burning home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

WebXtra: Woman's son saves her from burning home

By Molly Reuter - bio | email

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - An East Texas family is asking for the public's help after a fire destroyed everything they own. The blaze started around 4:00 p.m., Saturday in a mobile home located off County Road 219 in Smith County. 

Ellen Hill of Chapel Hill says she was taking a bath when she began smelling smoke. She quickly learned her mobile home was on fire, and she needed to get out. Hill says she began banging on the bathroom window, but could not get it open. Then, her son Rocky, who had managed to escape the fire, broke the window with a bat allowing Hill to jump out.   

"There was smoke pouring from everywhere and flames coming from this area of the house," said Hill. "As we were watching it go, I said 'it's ok' because stuff can be replaced. We can't, and we all made it out ok, and basically Rocky (son) saved my life." 

Hill says she and her three sons were renting the mobile home and do not have insurance. 

A fund has been set up in Ellen Hill's name at all Austin Bank locations. Hill says she and her sons are staying with friends until they find a new place to live.

©2009 KLTV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly