Elderly couple survives carbon monoxide poisoning - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Elderly couple survives carbon monoxide poisoning

By Jena Johnson - bio | email
Posted by Elizabeth Thomas – email

TYLER, TX (KLTV) – An East Texas woman is credited with saving her parent's lives after carbon monoxide seeped into their home for nearly a day.

The gas started filling the home on Gardner Drive in Palestine, after the couple returned home from a burger run and left the car running in the garage.

Doctors say Betty Fritz and her husband Bill are making a miraculous recovery.

For nearly 24 hours, carbon monoxide seeped into the couple's home.

"I was bewildered. I didn't know what happened, like a nightmare or a bad dream or something, but the Lord isn't finished with me yet. I have a lot of grandchildren and great children," said Betty.

On Wednesday, the couple's daughter, Carol Hutson, had plans to visit them; when no one came to the door, she let herself in, "He was sitting on the floor beside his bed. I said dad are you okay? And he just mumbled."

Hutson says she found her mother in the same condition.

"When I walked in, there was a very strong odor, and I couldn't place what it was," Hutson recalled.

Firefighters say the home was filled with 96% carbon monoxide. The couple was rushed to the hospital.

The couple's daughter says she won't leave their side until they make a full recovery. Betty says that's perfectly alright.

"We just went to bed like usual and we would have never woken up if she wouldn't have come over," expressed Betty.

Doctors say the couple could go home as soon as Saturday.

Copyright 2011 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly