Flashlight battery causes car fire on Kilgore College campus

Flashlight battery causes car fire on Kilgore College campus

KILGORE, TX (KLTV) - Two cars were damaged after a battery in a flashlight caused a fire on the campus of Kilgore College.

Wednesday morning, the Kilgore Fire Department responded to a car fire near the intersection of Elder and Broadway on the college’s campus, according to Kilgore Fire Marshal Brandon Bigos.

A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)
A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)

Bigos reported the driver of the car had noticed smoke in the interior of the vehicle and pulled into a parking space to investigate. A Kilgore College police officer came by and attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful.

The flames then spread to another car parked nearby, causing it to catch on fire.

A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)
A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)

When Kilgore fire arrived, they were able to put out the flames.

According to Bigos, the fire was caused by a battery inside a flashlight found underneath a seat in the car.

No injuries were reported and the Kilgore Fire Department has ruled the fire as accidental.

A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)
A flashlight battery caused a fire that damaged two cars on Kilgore College's campus (Source: Tina Pettigrew/KLTV viewer)

Copyright 2019 KLTV. All rights reserved.