Smoldering blanket in iron stove causes fire call

Smoldering blanket in iron stove causes fire call

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Emergency crews responded to a fire call in Smith County Monday afternoon.

According to the Smith County Fire Marshals Office, a fire was reported in the 23000 block of Waterridge Loop in Flint, very near to Lake Palestine.

Smith County Fire Marshal Connie Wasson reported a lit cast iron stove within the home had caused smoke to build up in the house making it appear the house was on fire.

Wasson said the house was uninhabitable and the homeowner was planning to tear it down. During that process, they had removed the flue from the stove, in preparation to move it to another location.

A female was reported to have been seen entering the home. Wasson said it is believed the woman had placed a blanket within the stove and lit it. Because the flue was not attached, the smoke from the fire was contained within the house.

The female reportedly left soon after, and the smoke was reported.

Wasson reported there was no damage to the house nor to the cast iron stove. She also stated there were no injuries were reported.

Copyright 2018 KLTV. All rights reserved.